You are here

Where can parents go to report hateful or illegal content and contact online?

Useful contacts for parents:


Hateful or sexually inappropriate content

  • You can report directly to the content provider, such as a social media or online video provider, asking them to remove hate-filled or overly sexualised content. 
  • Most social media platforms have simple processes in place for reporting inappropriate content. Try searching for 'Report', or look through their terms and conditions, or Help section.
  • ParentPort is run by the UK's media regulators and allows you to make complaints about online content, wherever you find it. Visit
  • True Vision is a police-funded site that provides information about hate crime. You can report all forms of hate crime, including online content, at This includes racial, homophobic, transphobic, religious or disability hate crime.


Mobile phone content

Report any unsuitable online content – film, still images or even plain text – that your child sees using their mobile phone to your mobile operator. If the mobile operator requires further advice, the query will be passed to the British Board of Film Classification


Inappropriate contact with an adult online

If you know or suspect your child has been communicating with an adult online who has tried to do any of the following, report it to CEOP, part of the National Crime Agency:

  • talked about sex or other inappropriate sexual activity;
  • asked them to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable, such as send them a naked or partially-clothed image;
  • asked them to meet them offline;
  • asked them to lie to their parents about, or tried to hide, their online relationship.


Images of child sexual abuse

Sadly, anyone can stumble across online child sexual abuse images and videos if you do, you can make an anonymous and confidential report to the IWF at